Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Little by Little

I just love the image of victory God is setting up all through the pages of Deuteronomy. The promise of the land He has set aside for His people, if only Israel would be follow God's commands. He has great things in store for them, beyond what they could imagine for themselves. That same great promise is still available to those to us today who trust and know Jesus. But it is not just about obeying God's law, for in and of ourselves we can not do that. That is why the debt has been paid for us, the price our natural disobedience has cost. Jesus paid for it with His blood, that we might be reconciled with God and inherit His beautiful promises for eternity.

The Israelites have been told they will have to conquer some nations as they make their way to the Promised Land. But, just like we do every day, Israel, God's chosen people, doubt. They fear. And understandably so, in my opinion. They are walking purely by faith, into lands unknown, into trials that are frightening, and they are human. Deuteronomy 7:17 helps us see their fears expressed. "...you say in your heart, 'These nations are greater than I. How can I dispossess them?' " Moses has a solution for this fearful people.

REMEMBER.

"You shall not be afraid of them but you shall remember what the Lord your God did to Pharaoh and to all of Egypt, the great trials your eyes saw, the signs, the wonders, the mighty hand and the outstretched arm, by which the Lord your God brought you out. So will the Lord your God do to all the peoples of whom you are afraid." (v. 18-19)

Call to mind His wonders and signs. Remember how you have already seen the Lord work. Recall His power shown in your life.

"Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall! My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me. But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. 'The Lord is my portion,' says my soul, 'therefore I will hope in him.' The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him." (Lamentations 3:19-25)

Israel is challenged to not be afraid, for God is in their midst (Deut. 7:21). Right in the smack dab middle of them! This isn't just some God who sits on high laying down smackdowns but not really involved. No. Their God, and our God also, promises to "love you, bless you, and multiply you" (v.13) and will keep them with the covenant and steadfast love He swore to their fathers (v.12). He is right there with them. A great and awesome God!

And then, to further address their fear: "The Lord your God will clear away these nations little by little." (v. 22)

Oh how this speaks REAL LIFE to me.

I remember those things of which I have been afraid. I know the ones that I am afraid of now, that so quickly have the power to paralyze me. God does not just take those things away. He doesn't just NOT make us walk through those fires. Sometimes in His sovereignty and grace He does. But in that same sovereign grace, God often makes us face those big, strong, terrifying, looming nations head on. (Can I get an Amen here? Anyone know what I am talking about?) I have flat out walked through things that I said were among my biggest fears. Those fears that cripple us. He makes - allows - us to walk there.

But here is the hope, that little by little He will clear away those nations. I am walking there now. Making baby steps of progress through the wilderness, sometimes seeing God provide victory over another nation and then sometimes falling to my knees as I see another one ready to fight right in front of me, knowing that in my own strength I do not have the fight in me. But He has brought me to each place and I am instructed to take each step as they come, little by little. He surely can do big miracles but often, victory will come in small doses.

But God will give them over to you until they are destroyed (v.23)
He will give their kings into your hand (v.24)
No one will be able to stand against you (v. 24)

Victory is promised, and it is coming.

No comments:

Post a Comment