Friday, August 30, 2013

A Brother's Duty

When I was in the ninth grade, my big brother was a senior. He has always been one of my very favorite people in the whole world, and he worked to protect me from meanies, bullies, and the like all throughout my childhood.  He was one of the captains of the football team and also was on the wrestling team. He was salutatorian of his class and highly respected by teachers and students alike. A pretty swell guy, if I do say.

Well, at this tender age of 14, I had for some reason been hanging out with a not-so-great boy who was two years older.  Got that? He was 16. He had a car. ('Nuff said.) Anyway, I liked him for a bit, but then it didn't take long to realize (I may have been 14 but I did have a little sense) he was, how do I say it? A punk.

One night I had a friend over and this dude would not leave me alone. I hadn't been hanging out with him for a while, but he felt like he still needed to call and come to my house. I was over it. But I didn't really know how to make him go away when he could drive over anytime he felt like it. That night my brother also had one of his football buddies at the house and I let my big bro know a guy was coming over and I didn't want him to. I sat on the porch with my friend, to try to keep him from ringing the doorbell (and getting me in trouble) and watched dude pull up with his friend. As soon as they started to walk up our front steps, here come the two senior football players around to the front of the house, strolling like they were just talking a walk.

Brother: Hey Jen, you alright?

Me: Yeah we're okay.

My brother and his friend walk to one of their cars parked in front of the house and open the trunk. Out they pull a Louisville Slugger bat and begin to hit it against their hands.

(Walking towards us) Brother: You sure you're alright? Would you like these guys to leave?

Me: yes, I would.

Brother (to dudes): It's time for you go (as he holds a bat).

Any guesses as to what happened? Yeah, they scattered pretty quickly. I don't remember him bothering me much after that.

That's one thing about brothers. They watch out for you when unwanted dudes are pestering you.

So, fast forward 16 years, and my 4 year old b/g twins are in the same class at preschool.  APPARENTLY one day this week, a boy in their class was kissing Kate on the back as they waited in line.  She was not feelin' it.  So what does big brother (by 2 minutes) do? According to him, he stepped in between them, wrapped his arms around his sister and said, "This is NOT your sister. This is MY sister." And that was that. Dude scattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment